Palm has officially rolled out the 1.3.5 webOS update for its Pre and Pixi smartphones. The updates are removing restriction on application storage space allowing for almost an unlimited number of apps to be installed, Palm App Catalog is now capable of background downloading and simultaneous downloads as well.
Barnes & Noble has released the first firmware update 1.1.0 for its Nook e-book reader that includes improves the start-up time for My Libraries, device displays the correct time on its status bar, better page numbering for books, performance updates in areas such as page turning of e-books and formatting of downloaded books.
Barnes & Noble has sent an e-mail promising a $100 gift voucher to anyone whose Nook doesn’t make it before Christmas.
Playstation Firmware 3.0 announced by Sony at Gamescom in Cologne, Germany is now live. New changes to the design of the XMB (Xross Media Bar).
From the official PS3 blog, here are the features:
- “What’s New” – The “Information Board” will be replaced with a “What’s New” section, which allows you to enjoy interactive PlayStation news every time you start the PS3 system. Located under the PlayStation Network icon, “What’s New” displays the latest and greatest game, video, PlayStation Network and PlayStation news and releases, as well as your recently played games, in a sleek, new animated format.
- Status Indicator – In the top right corner we’ve added an indicator bar, which displays your user icon, friend icon, the number of friends you have online and a small message icon to let you know if you have any new messages. The indicator also includes a scrolling ticker that features the latest news from PlayStation Network. In addition, when you press the PS button, the battery life indicator will no longer cover up the clock.
- Friends List – Now your PlayStation Network friends will appear in a slightly redesigned format on your Friends List. Also, messages will now be viewable from each of your friends’ respective profiles.
- PlayStation Store Shortcuts – We’ve added a handy shortcut icon to the PlayStation Store under both the Game and Video categories so you can access the latest content quickly and easily.
- Personalization – Personalize your PS3 with new dynamic custom themes and avatars. Dynamic themes as well as free and premium avatars will be available through PlayStation Store. A dynamic theme takes your screen to a whole new level as it incorporates animated objects into the background.
- Trophies – Showcasing your hard earned trophies just got better. Update 3.00 gives game developers the ability to modify how they display trophies for add-on content. Base and add-on game trophies will continue to be combined into a single list so you can see where you stand in a game as a whole. Within that list, trophies will be broken out into subcategories—base trophies and add-on trophies—that way, you can easily view the percentage of your base game trophy collection, and separately track your trophy progress in add-on packs. Look for this enhancement to be included in upcoming games.
PlayStation Network operations director Eric Lempel said in the official Sony blog that PS3 Firmware 3.0 will be the last update for 2009. Firmware 3.0 will be out in September 1. Firmware 3.0 completely revamps the information board, introduces premium avatars and animated themes and a variety of other tweaks.
See full list of features:
Sony will release PlayStation Portable Firmware 5.50 update with Information Board, Internet search in XMB and other improvements.
Feature listed on Sony Blog:
- Memory Stick improvements – You’ll be able to create and access sub-folders on your Memory Stick PRO Duo for music, videos and photos. Separately, the available space required to download a file from PlayStation Store to your Memory Stick has been reduced significantly.
- Internet search for games directly from the XMB – You’ll be able to easily search the Internet for information about your PSP games. Select the icon for the game, hit the Triangle button, and then select [Internet Search] from the options menu to get search results based on the game title. This feature was added to PS3 with the recent 2.70 update.
- Trend Micro trial – PSP’s Internet browser is a great tool for checking out your favorite Web sites on the go, and we’re teaming up with the Internet security experts at Trend Micro to make the Web browsing experience safer and more secure.
Apple has released 246.4MB iPhone update version 2.2.1 which improves performance in mobile Safari and corrects an image issue in which pictures saved from Mail don’t display properly in the Camera Roll. Yes that’s it. On the iPod Touch, version 2.2.1 fixes an issue that caused some Apple Lossless (ALAC) to skip during playback.
The 1.75 GB iPhone SDK version 2.2.1 includes the complete Xcode 3.1.2 release and no API changes. Could this update include codes to block pawnage?
Sony has announced the next firmware release 2.60 for the PlayStation 3 console. The updates include playback support for DivX 3.11 encoded files, guest access to PlayStation Store, and more.
Sony will soon release the latest PSP firmware update, v5.03 that improves system software stability during use of some features.
Source: PSP 5.03 Update
Sony will release the next PS3 Firmware 2.53 today where full screen Adobe Flash support will be added to the PS3 browser.
Apple released iPhone Software 2.2 as a free download for iPhone and iPhone 3G users after releasing iTunes 8.0.2 earlier this morning. The updates and new features are:
- Enhancements to Maps
- Google Street View*
- Public transit and walking directions
- Display address of dropped pins
- Share location via email
- Decrease in call setup failures and dropped calls
- Enhancements to Mail
- Resolved isolated issues with scheduled fetching of email
- Improved formatting of wide HTML email
- Podcasts are now available for download in iTunes application (over Wi-Fi and cellular network)
- Improved stability and performance of Safari
- Improved sound quality of Visual Voicemail messages
- Pressing Home button from any Home screen displays the first Home screen
- Preference to turn on/off auto-correction in Keyboard Settings
Source: Apple iPhone Firmware 2.2