Seagate Technology revealed world’s thinnest laptop and netbook hard drive, the Momentus Thin drive. The drive is 7mm in height and claims to be 25% slimmer than traditional laptop hard drives.
The Momentus Thin drive features two capacity points 250GB and 160GB an 8MB cache, a Serial ATA 3Gb/second interface and a 5400RPM spin speed. The drive is scheduled to ship in January 2010.
Seagate is entering the solid state market with the Pulsar single-level cell (SLC) flash drive with SATA (serial ATA) interfaces and are available in 50GB, 100GB, and 200GB capacities, all on a 2.5-inch card.
From Seagate, the drive features:
- Single-level cell (SLC) technology optimizes SSD reliability and endurance
- 0.44 percent AFR for high reliability and endurance
- Up to 200GB capacity in a 2.5-inch form factor and 7mm z-height
- Power loss data protection to ensure against data loss upon power failure
- 5-Year Limited Warranty
- SATA 3Gb/s interface to support current blade server chipsets
- Leveraging industry-leading, global enterprise support
- Industry-leading SSS and SSD standards development through JEDEC and SNIA