Wi-Fi Alliance has announced Wi-Fi Direct, connect devices anytime and anywhere without a Wi-Fi hotspot. It will work on the Wi-Fi range unlike Bluetooth.
The five WiFi Certified WiFi Direct products, the Alliance announced, are:
• Atheros XSPAN Dual-band 802.11n PCIe mini card;
• Broadcom Dual-Band 802.11n 2×2 MiMO PCIe half mini card;
• Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 WiFi card;
• Ralink MIMObility 802.11 2×2 PCIe half mini card; and
• Realtek HM92C00 PCIe mini card.
The new Wi-Fi Direct specification will allow peer to peer connections between Wi-Fi devices, no hotspot required and this would certainly rival Bluetooth. Wi-Fi Direct will allow all your Wi-Fi enabled devices such as phones, cameras, printers, computers, keyboards, and headphones talk to each other.
With this new technology each device acts like an access point and there is no need of a wireless router. Imagine using this technology to get internet access to your iPhone using your laptop.